Author: The Lockner Estate TRA

About The Lockner Estate TRA

The Lockner Estate Tenants and Residents Association represents the community living on the Lockner Estate in Hackney. The TRA liaise with Hackney Homes and Hackney Council on behalf of the tenants and residents regarding the upkeep of the estate. The main aim is to improve the level of service received relating to maintenance and repair issues. It also organises events. The TRA has forged close links with other community groups in DeBeauvoir and East London.

Next Meeting

Lockner Logo pointy hat

Next residents meeting Wednesday 13th December, Community Flat 23 Blandford Court, 7-8pm

Agenda:

  • Cleaning update
  • Talk from Development Director from Inhabit Homes (helping communities build self-build homes) inhabithomes.co.uk

Come along to express any concerns, share any ideas and meet your neighbours

Advertisements

2017 Panto Tickets

cinderella

Tickets will go on sale for £4 each on Friday 30 November from the Community Flat, 23 Blandford Court at 7pm.

First come first served; arrive early to avoid disappointment.

Tickets are limited to 4 per household (and please don’t ask for 4 tickets if there aren’t 4 people in your household – they are strictly for residents only and are a treat, not an entitlement)

 

 

Panto Time!

It’s that time of year again! Amazingly we managed to get NINETY tickets this year (a record!), because Hackney council have increased our grant and we have been saving money from renting the community flat out. 

We’ll be heading to the Hackney Empire on Wednesday 20th December at 7pm. Details on how and when to get tickets to follow on website/social media/notice boards once it’s been arranged. 

And remember… if you’ve been involved in organising an event for Lockner Residents Association, you get priority tickets – a great motive to get involved! 

More Cleaning Meetings… Hrumph.

 

Image result for despair

As requested and agreed at the last meet with John Wheatley (cleaning manager) a follow up meeting has been arranged on Tuesday 28th November 2017 09.30am at the communinity flat, 23 Blandford court.

Please could you tell neighbours and save the date.

The new cleaning schedule will go up in the notice boards shortly (Hackney council already have some up in the notice boards, but we will make some more user friendly ones). The meeting will be for us to feed back our views – is the new schedule working?

Cleaning Meeting Minutes

Todays meeting was rather heated, but we have some positive actions to take forward. Please keep a look out here on the website, the facebook page, notice boards and emails for updates and details of the next meeting that will be scheduled for a months time.

Attendees

Unfortunately a register was not passed around.
Three members of the Hackney Council cleaning team including John Wheatley (manager).
Housing manager Emmanuel Malm.
Lisa Linpower, Chair
Nikki Parrott, Vice chair
An additional 11 residents
Actions
  • Email TRA the current cleaning schedule for the TRA to print in large posters on notice boards, add to the website and email to resident mailing list (JW)
  • Send quarterly cleaning quality assurance reports to Lockner TRA for us to distribute to residents so residents can subjectively and objectively assess new cleaning schedule (JW)
  • Raise concerns over illegally parked car blocking 2 disabled bays for a long period of time with Shamus Adams at Hackney Council (JW)
  • Escalate concerns over rats on the estate following recent drainage issues on Dorchester Court (JW)
  • Arrange a review meeting between cleaning department and residents 1 month following this initial meeting (JW, LL)
Issues raised:
  1. Antisocial behaviour on stairwells is a large concern with feces/urine and drug paraphernalia, residents do not feel this is being addressed as frequenty under the new scheme
  2. Residents are angry and upset that our full time cleaner has been replaced with a new service without any consultation. It was aknowledged that our previous cleaners have provided what was effectively a caretaking role in addition to cleaning and it is something we all appreciated and miss. JW explained that he is standardising services throughout the borough and thoroughly explained steps his team have taken and how services are being delivered.

TRA meeting – September 2017

Attendees:
Lisa Linpower (Chair), Nikki Parrott (Vice-Chair), Francine Bennett (Secretary), Maria Savito (Treasurer), Cordelia Harwood (Blandford Court), Serena Allen (Blandford Court), Linda Toigo (Stratton Court), Jake Snell (Dorset Court), Jerry Kateen (Swanage Court), Emma Thomas (Swanage Court), S Ionades (Blandford Court), Abi Bobyi (Blandford Court), Mattia Reininger (Stratton Court)

Actions
Chase again for clear information on door scheme (EM)

Share service charge bill breakdown with others (CH)

Chase again for clear shared information on whether water tank rebate to service charges has been consistently applied (FB/MR)

Chase again for clarification on business rates and service charges on community flat (EM)

Schedule special open meeting to discuss cleaning issues with HH cleaning manager (LL)

Contact Wayne Hibberd and review options for shrubs in area around Dorchester Court (EM/LT)

1. Update on actions from last meeting
Find out whether Hackney can do a mailout for every open meeting, in order to create quorum for each meeting (FB)

Completed – HH agreed to do this

Chase Hackney again for clear information on business rates and utilities for community flat (EM)

Chased, but still no clear information received

Add rent review to agenda of next open meeting (FB)

Not added, due to still no clarity on business rates and utilities which would factor in

Test different meeting time for next open meeting (FB/LL)

Done – testing 6.30 start this meeting

Invite Major Works representative to next meeting to explain proposed door scheme (EM)

Invited but did not attend or provide any clear information. EM to chase further. 

Contact councillor to raise concerns about proposed door scheme (LL)

Done. Apparently scheme has been cancelled but still awaiting formal confirmation. 

Query whether service charge rebate has been made to all flats affected by tank overcharge (FB)

Queried. No useful reply, will chase once more and then raise as complaint if not resolved

Raise any cleaning concerns to cleaner.estates@hackney.gov.uk (all)

Cleaning manager has complained about our raising concerns, and says that he has inspected and finds the standard acceptable. LL to arrange special open meeting just focussed on cleaning, to discuss issues with him. 

Add bike locker options to next meeting agenda (FB/EM)

Lockers have appeared since last meeting! Apparently these can be rented online

2. Major works representative – to discuss what is the proposed door scheme, purpose, cost,  (EM)
Major Works/Leasehold Services did not attend or give any useful update. EM chasing again to get clear information for us. 

3. Rent review – postpone due to continued lack of information? (FB)
Postponed due to lack of information. 

4. Bike locker options (EM)
Bike hangars have mysteriously appeared since last meeting! Apparently can be rented online for £12 a year. 

5. Any other updates from Hackney Homes (EM)
No special updates. 

6. Any other business (All)

EM is continuing his review of pram sheds to make sure that ownership is properly recorded and that sheds are fairly shared between residents. He is working block by block, and posting notices on shed doors for 28 days, to check who owns which. Unfortunately all records from the previous housing manager on this topic are lost. 

Residents are experiencing significant ASB issues on Swanage and Dorset Courts from a flat which is generating drug detritus and noise late at night from visitors. EM to review. EM also recommended contacting the community safety officer Sam Peters with any concerns to enable him to remain aware. 

LT raised concerns about the state of the grass outside Dorchester Court, and would like to explore options for low-level shrubs instead of grass. LT to contact WH to discuss further. 

Cleaning meeting 18th October. 

Following the last residents meeting, we have arranged a special meeting with Head of estate operations and cleaning at Hackney Council, John Wheatley. 
For a bit of background – some time ago Hackney council got rid of our estate cleaner (many of us remember and miss Anthony), and they have been trialing using street cleaners instead. Residents have reported standards have slipped significantly. Our estate cleaner also changed light bulbs and reported faults, which is no longer done on Lockner unless we call the service centre, which can be a painful process.  

The meeting has been arranged for Wednesday 18th October at 09.30am. Meet at the community flat, 23 Blandford court. This is your chance to highlight concerns about the cleaning on Lockner. 
We will do our best to put up flyers in notice boards and attempt flyers, but please do spread the word to neighbours. 

In the meantime, if you notice poor cleaning, please snap a picture of it to bring along to the meeting or email to cleaner.estates@hackney.gov.uk copying us in. 

See you there!

Gerda Doors update

For the last six months (or more) we have been chasing Hackney Council about the Gerda door instillation programe on Lockner. You can see some background information on our previous post – click here .

Hackney Council, despite heroic efforts from our excellent estate manager, have still not clarified the situation; do we HAVE to have the doors installed? Who pays for them? Is there a time schedule? One leaseholder reports being told on the telephone that she can simply say no to the instillation.

In the meantime, we have heard from Phillip Glanville, the Mayor of Hackney (with help from Cllr Peters), that the Gerda door instillation programe has now been stopped in Hackney Council properties – see email below.

So – the bottom line appears to be that you don’t have to have a door installed if you don’t want to. If you do go ahead and you are a leaseholder, it is still not clear who will pay for it, even if it appears that the council have previously insisted on it…

Minutes from tonights meeting to follow.

From: Mayor <Mayor@Hackney.gov.uk<mailto:Mayor@Hackney.gov.uk>>
Date: 8 September 2017 at 17:03:48 BST
To: “James Peters (Cllr)” <James.Peters@Hackney.gov.uk<mailto:James.Peters@Hackney.gov.uk>>
Subject: Gerda doors

Dear James

Gerda doors

Thank you for your email which was received on 17 June 2017. I am sorry to hear of the concerns of Lockner Estate residents about the ability of the Council and emergency services to quickly gain access through Gerda-manufactured doors in the event of an emergency. I apologise for the delay in responding.

As you are aware, concerns about Gerda doors, specifically in relation to the durability of their finish, date back many years and the Council has tried to proactively work with Gerda to resolve these issues since 2006.

In terms of access, when I wrote to you in November 2015, I explained that six approved carpenters had been trained in accessing properties with Gerda doors, and that during their training, Gerda provide delegates with the skills to get past the specialist locks. While I appreciate that there have, understandably, been concerns around the doors, I have been assured that training was provided to the emergency services within the borough, to demonstrate how the doors can be forced in an emergency. This was done almost as soon as the doors were fitted.

Housing Services have confirmed that the DLOs operate a 24/7 service and are trained in how to force entry. DLOs are available when needed and more than happy to help in these circumstances. Further, I am pleased to be able to confirm that they continue to run workshops for local emergency services to ensure that this skill is maintained.

However, as I suggested in my previous response, the Council has recently discontinued the purchase of Gerda doors and opted instead for multi-point locking composite doors. While there are still some Gerda doors in stock that may be fitted, the Council will not be ordering any more. This does not, however, reflect a lack of faith in Gerda doors, in terms of being able to gain access in an emergency.

I hope that this response is helpful and if you or the Lockner TRA want to discuss this further, please do come back to me or Cllr McKenzie, Cabinet Member for Housing Services.

Yours sincerely

Philip Glanville
Mayor of Hackney

Meeting Tonight

Hi Neighbours. A reminder of our meeting tonight at 6:30 in the community flat, 18 Blandford court. 

Hackney Council changed the rules at our last AGM to say that we have to meet quorum and have 12 people at every meeting for the meeting to count. In exchange they have agreed to do a “Mail out” before every meeting with information – have you received yours?

See you there!