Meeting Minutes 22 July 2016

LOCKNER ESTATE – TRA MEETING 22nd July 2016

Present:

Lisa Linpower, Chair

Francine Bennett, Secretary

Sahena Begum, Hackney Homes

Nikki Parrott, Dorset Court

Kym Byrne, Lulworth Court

Apologies:

Jon Hoskins, vice Chair

Joe Cranston Turner, Treasurer

New action items

  • Request additional walkabout (SB)
  • Talk to older residents about ideas for tenant levy (KB)
  • Find out what happens after complaint is upheld (KB/SB)
  • Find out how to apply for playground improvements (SB)

Notes

1. Introductions

Sahena is the new temporary estate officer for Lockner, replacing Elli. She will be replaced in turn in a few weeks, is covering for a colleague on personal leave.

2. Estate conditions and repairs

Some ongoing issues (estate paving, peeling paint, etc) appear not to have been addressed for some time.

Agreed to request a walkabout with HH officers who will be more aware of history of these issues, to discuss in more detail and propose solutions.

NP pointed out that some of the playground areas are also not well set up at the moment, and could be improved with more or more varied equipment – SB will investigate the process for suggesting improvements.

3. Tenant Levy

Those present agreed that the £750 tenant levy could be used again to fund panto tickets and another first aid course for residents.

KB pointed out that older residents might feel excluded from panto as it’s quite family-centric, and agreed to discuss with some neighbours what might be good for them. Possible ideas included reserving an allocation of panto tickets for grandparents with grandchildren, setting up skills swaps between neighbours, or a totally separate event.

4. Complaints procedure

KB shared her draft decision tree which should help us know what to do if we need to make a complaint to HH. We discussed that a particular issue is that it’s unclear what to do after a complaint is upheld, if the original issue still hasn’t actually been resolved. KB/SB will investigate further and update KB’s document.

The Big Lockner Lunch 2016

This weekend saw the 7th annual Big Lockner Lunch celebration. The Big Lunch on Lockner was first started in 2009 by a few neighbours wanting to meet and break bread with their neighbours.

It’s now something we look forward to now every year on Lockner, it’s funded by the TRA and Hackney Council and see’s neighbours, new and old, out sharing food, laughter and celebrating our community.

We were lucky this year to be joined by some very talented musicians. The Barbarian Horde who provided live streamfolk music, which spontaneously turned into a percussion jamming session with the estates children who ran into their homes to fashion instruments with saucepans, toy instruments and home made maracas! Bleed These Colours continued with acoustic urban vibes combined with some rap and another impromptu session with Lockner’s children beatboxing with Michael’s friendly guidance (his music can be bought by clicking in the link). Many future musicians may have been inspired on this day!

Pat from Wareham court bought out the BBQ and stunned us all with her Caribbean jerk and banana fritters, and Carol, Lockners forever matriarch, decorated  and made everyone feel welcome and looked after.

We were used as a National case study from the Big Lunch again this year and pictures from their professional photographer will be appearing on here soon.

Despite the showers, it was another big success for the Lockner Big Lunch.

We are all so very lucky to be living in this very special community.

AGM Meeting – Minutes

LOCKNER ESTATE – TRA AGM MEETING

27th April 2016

 

Present:

Lisa Linpower, Chair

Francine Bennett, Secretary

Joe Cranston Turner, Treasurer

Elli Papamichael, Hackney Homes

Nikki Parrott, Dorset Court

Kym Byrne, Lulworth Court

Maria Savito, Dorset Court

 

Apologies:

Jon Hoskins, vice Chair

 

New action items

  • Discuss posters for big lunch with Ellie Stevenson (LL)

  • Provide copy of community flat insurance certificates to EP and NP (JCT)

  • Provide Treasurers Report to Committee (JCT)

  • Raise complaint to Housing.Complaints@hackneyhomes.org.uk re rise in forecast service charges (LL)

  • Collect examples of detailed service charge bills from different flats for comparison (NP)

  • Draft a complaints template including where to send complaints and what to expect, to post on TRA website (KB)

  • Find out whether Hackney Homes needs to provide 28 days’ notice of scaffolding (KB)

  • Schedule Committee meeting in next 6 weeks (FB)

 

Notes

1. AGM business

  • Current Officers were all re-elected to the same posts

  • Ellie Stevenson, Nikki Parrott, Kim Byrne, Danny Turton, Ellie Stevenson, and Maria Savito were elected as additional Committee members

  • Treasurers report to be submitted and agreed by email by the Committee after this meeting

 

2. Update on other actions from last meeting

  • Contact Service Charge team to clarify paving charging situation (FB):

    • Response received upholding complaint, doesn’t appear that they intend any further action

 

3. Service charges

LL pointed out that projected service charges have increased very substantially, and she has not received any response to an email to Service Charges team asking why.

EP suggested raising a complaint to complaints team to ensure a response, as this is then formally tracked through the process.

NP suggested collecting together a number of different bills to see whether they are being managed consistently across flats and whether all charges are legitimate.

 

4. Paving

The badly done paving of several years ago is still an issue (work poorly done, and much of the initial damage caused by Hackney Homes contractors), and NP is now being pursued through court for the unpaid charges. Those present were dissatisfied with the lack of clear or fair action by Hackney Homes to resolve the situation, but it’s unclear what to do next other than raise yet another formal complaint, which may not change anything.

 

5. Flat rental

The community flat is currently used by the TRA and by Tigerlily, a local film production company. Hackney Homes’ rules on community space rental appear to have changed, and we may want to change the rental amount or contract – current rent is low, but reflects the fact that the flat is not closely managed and has had a lot of issues and repairs.

FB to meet with Hackney Homes on 28th May to find out the latest rules, and then come back to the Committee to discuss a good way forward. In general the TRA is pleased to have the flat occupied while still available to local residents, so would like to find a good way to continue the situation.

 

6. Summer party

The annual Big Lunch is on Saturday 11th June. LL requested help to set up on the day around 10-12 a.m. from as many people as possible.

Lockner Big Lunch 2016

The Lockner Big Lunch is next weekend!

Join us for some fun in the sun on Lockner. For the kids; bouncy castles, face painting and games. For all; a bike repairing workshop, live music from Bleed These Colours and The Barbarian Horde, Caribbean food and a relaxed and fun environment to meet and get to know neighbours old and new.

Its in the ‘red park’ (between Wareham and Stratton courts) on Saturday 11th June, between 1-5pm. Friends and family welcome!

BigLocknerLunch2016

Lockner Trees

Hackney Homes conducted a tree survey on Lockner last week (in response to the amount of tree planting/guerrilla gardening on Lockner. They have advised us that new trees will be registered and taken care of by Hackney Homes; this will come under planned maintenance, so will not increase our service charges. Please see a letter from their horticultural development officer below:

Dear Resident of Lockner estate,

On behalf of Grounds Maintenance, I would like to inform you about planned tree maintenance works for trees growing on communal estate areas.

Tree works are expected to take place in August 2015 and will be carried out in accordance with the best practise for tree work.

Please get in touch if you have further questions:

02083564660

Thank you

Veronika Kozlova

Horticultural Development Officer

Grounds Maintenance

Hackney Homes

Estate parking

LocknerParking

This sign appeared on Lockner this week, on 22nd & 23rd July our cars will be towed if we park in the estate, where we have permits to do so. We have written to the relevant parties to arrange some alternative parking during this time.

If you park on the estate with a permit – watch this space to find out what the plan will be!

Next TRA meeting

Wednesday 24 September 2015

Community flat, 23 Blandford court

7-8pm

 

AGENDA:

Cleaning on Lockner

Extending your lease

Paving Bill

Useless scaffolding

If you are not able to attend, but would like to make a point and have your voice heard and/or receive the minutes, please email us locknertra@gmail.com or pop a note through the community flat door (23 Blandford)

More details below – it should be a valuable meeting!

Agenda – a bit more detail:

  1. Cleaning – still not up to scratch, seems to be only reactive to complaints, when will Hackney Homes hire a permanent cleaner to replace the last one?
  2. Extending Leases. Would you believe that Hackney Homes ask you to “suggest how much you think you should pay” to extend your lease! Fees are not set and are charged on an ad-hoc basis. How is this justified? Could those interested renew our leases collectively?
  3. Paving Bill. The residents association disputed the bill and reduced the amount significantly (aided by a mis-calculation by Hackney Homes that was discovered). No one has received a corrected bill, with the reduction. . Some people have had court summons for not paying, others have not yet received a bill. Do we want to fight to reduce it further – giving that the paving slabs were broken by Hackney Homes vans driving onto the estate when they replaced kitchens a few years ago, of which we have photographic evidence and documented complaints. Let’s get an update from Hackney Homes and organise our strategy from there together.
  4. Scaffolding. Always up on Lockner, never being used, it just sits there idle. Are we paying for this?

As well as social activities, the Lockner residents association has stopped security gates from being erected around the perimeter of the estate (http://locknergates.blogspot.co.uk/ 2010), and saved Leaseholders THOUSANDS of pounds by disputing service charges and challenging unnecessary major works. We need all the help we can get though; the residents association is run purely by volunteer residents, around full time jobs and family life  – please email us to be added to our mailing list, attend a meeting or keep an eye on this website.